What Happens If Your Ex-Spouse Doesn’t Pay Child Support

Nov 29, 2022 | Uncategorized | 0 comments

Do you have an ex-spouse who doesn’t pay child support? It can be emotionally and financially exhausting to deal with your ex-spouse not paying up. But there are ways to get the child support that your children deserve.

When left alone with the financial duties of raising your children, you may feel helpless, but you’re certainly not alone. This informative piece will help you know what you can do if your ex-spouse doesn’t pay child support and how you can enforce it. Let’s start!

What’s The Purpose Of Child Support?

Child support is an important part of any child’s life. It helps ensure that the child has all the resources they need to grow and develop into healthy, happy adults.

There are several reasons parents might need to seek child support from another parent. Perhaps one parent was injured or became ill and could not work for a while. 

Or perhaps one parent had to go back to school or take on another job to improve the family’s situation and needs financial support from the other parent during this time.

The Best Way To Enforce Child Support

When it comes to enforcing child support, there are a few options available to parents who need help collecting money from an ex-spouse. Depending on the situation and your state’s laws, you may be able to:

  • File a lawsuit against your ex if they aren’t paying their court-ordered obligations. You’ll need to contact a lawyer to help you with this process.
  • Enforce support through your state or county’s child support enforcement agency. 
  • Request an administrative hearing with your state’s child support enforcement agency to try and resolve the issue informally. 

There are several other options available for enforcing child support, depending on your specific situation and the laws in your state. Ultimately, the best way to ensure that you receive the correct amount of child support is to work with an experienced child support attorney who can help guide you through the process.

When Should You Take Action?

There are certain situations where it is appropriate for you to take action and request financial assistance from the other parent. Some of these scenarios include:

  • If the other parent has a history of not paying child support on time or at all and has a poor track record with their finances in general.
  • If the other parent is refusing to contribute to the financial needs of your child for reasons that are not related to their actual ability to pay.
  • If you have recently experienced a change in your income or other financial circumstances and need help meeting your child’s basic needs.

Deciding whether or not to take legal action about child support can take time and effort. If you are considering taking legal action regarding unpaid or late child support payments from the other parent, it is important to seek the advice of a family law attorney who can help you explore all of your legal options. 

A Qualified Child Support Lawyer

If you’ve been googling “child support attorney near me,” there’s no need to keep looking. Courtney Anderson is a child support lawyer licensed to work in Central Illinois. She’s compassionate and empathetic and understands how difficult these child support cases can be. 

She works tirelessly to ensure her clients get the justice they need and their children the future they deserve. Courtney Anderson has your back if you require a child support defense. Don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule a consultation for further questions.